Sunday, October 19, 2008

I don't do a lot of hardwood floor, but this job was especially interesting to me. The room had a large fireplace made of rock. The edges were rough, and there were large grout joints to deal with. So how do you end the hardwood floor without leaving unsightly gaps everywhere? See the below:


The gap:
Close up:
The filler before installation:
Finished product:

This is what it would look like if I just cut a normal square cut. Not terrible, but there is an unacceaptable gap at the grout joint. Also, most of the rocks weren't as square as this one.
So to make it look like it should, I cut the profile of the rock into the piece of flooring. How? I'll keep that secret if you don't mind...


Here is the same piece after it was installed.
The side of the fireplace after I finished: Click on the picture to see it closer if you want to look for gaps.

The wood is Bolivian Rosewood

No comments: